Breast augmentation is among the most popular plastic surgery procedures year after year, and that’s no different here in the Northern Virginia area. Women pursue breast augmentation for a wide variety of reasons: sometimes it’s to bring their proportions into a more comfortable alignment, sometimes it’s to even out asymmetry, and sometimes it’s simply to increase the size of the bust line. Women have many options when it comes to the form, size, and material of their breast implants and, as such, there is usually a breast enhancement option that is great for just about anyone.
The surgeons at Sanctuary Cosmetic Center, located in Tysons Corner, VA, and the Metropolitan Washington DC, have a broad depth of experience. Our breast augmentation procedures are performed by Dr. Ayman Hakki, a highly respected board certified plastic surgeon with over three decades of experience. He has helped countless patients receive the overall size, shape, and feel that they desire. While breast augmentation procedures are often dismissed by the layman as frivolous and shallow, we know that to our patients, a breast enhancement procedure can improve self-esteem, self-confidence, and make a tremendous impact on your overall quality of life.
If this sounds interesting and you are looking for a breast augmentation in Washington DC and the Metropolitan area, contact Sanctuary Cosmetic Center to schedule a confidential consultation.
How Do I Know if a Breast Augmentation is Right For Me?
As one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures year after year, it’s safe to say that there are many people who would like a breast enhancement procedure. If you are a good candidate for breast enlargement:
- You suffer from breast asymmetry
- Your breasts are significantly smaller than you would like
- You are generally healthy enough for surgery
- You have a good understanding of the risks and benefits of breast augmentation
- Your nipple and areola complexes face forward and are above the level of the inframammary crease (if this is not the case, you may require a breast lift in addition to a breast enlargement)
- You are undergoing this procedure to feel better about your body, not to meet anyone else’s expectations of how you should look
- You are not currently pregnant or nursing
- You wish to bring your breasts into proportion with your hips or lower body
Of course, this list is not a list of the only people who can get a breast augmentation, rather a short list of what you can expect to discuss during your consultation with surgeons at Sanctuary Cosmetic Center. You should also be prepared to discuss your medical history in order to ensure you are generally healthy enough for surgery.
Deciding on a Breast Implant
When it comes to your breast augmentation procedure, you and Dr. Hakki will discuss some of the options you have for getting the look you want. Among those options is the choice over your implant. To be sure, when most people think of implant types, they are thinking primarily about the composition of those implants. But patients also have options when it comes to the size, shape, and texture of those implants.
That said, no decision will impact your final look more than the implant type. Generally, breast implants fall into three types:
- Saline: Perhaps the most popular type of implant during the 1990’s, saline implants are composed, essentially, of salt water. In recent years, saline implants have fallen out of favor, though they are sometimes used in cases where patients desire minimal incisions or have allergies to silicone.
- Silicone: The safest, most reliable implants on the market today are silicone implants. That, combined with their ability to generate a natural look and feel, helps make silicone implants the most popularly demanded breast implant type.
- Autologous Fat: Sometimes referred to as a “fat graft” breast augmentation, or Natural Breast Augmentation, this approach to breast enhancement relies on the use of your own purified fat. Though the results can be slightly less predictable than other implant types due to the composition of the fat, this approach is the most natural looking.
These three main approaches the enhancing the size of your breasts each have their own individual strengths, and the type you choose will likely depend on your desired final results.
What Happens During the Breast Augmentation Procedure?
Breast augmentations can be performed in a hospital setting or at our in-house Sanctuary Surgical Suite (SSS), saving you cost in the long run. Breast augmentation is usually performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation (twilight sleep). Most patients will receive a breast augmentation procedure that uses one of the three following incision types:
- Periareolar Incision: This particular incision type follows the curve of the areola of the breast—the small circle of dark skin around the nipple. By following the curve of the seam between dark skin and light skin, the hope is that any scar tissue that develops would be harder to see. Once the incision is made, a small pocket is made for the implant, which is then inserted. This particular incision type is not recommended for patients who express a desire to have children later in life, as this particular incision technique is the most likely to impede the ability to express milk. However, for patients looking for a minimally invasive incision type, a periareolar incision may be an option.
- Inframammary Incision: By far the most common incision type for patients getting breast augmentation procedures, this technique requires the surgeon to make an incision along the lower fold of the breast. Once the incision is made, surgeons have a great deal of flexibility in terms of the size of implant they can insert. This particular incision type is an excellent option for patients who already have a modest amount of breast tissue, as the breast itself will hide any incision marks.
These incision types do not, of course, cover autologous fat transfer. Those procedures will require a liposuction procedure as well as a series of injections.
Breast augmentation procedures are usually performed on an outpatient basis, meaning you will return home once your initial recovery is complete.
Breast Augmentation Recovery and Results
Recovery from breast augmentation generally takes a week to ten days. For the first week or so, you should be prepared to limit your physical activity (though you should be able to get up and move around). (A surgeon will later remove those.) Patients can usually return to work within a week and return to almost all normal activities after three weeks or so. Swelling may subsist for a number of weeks further, but this diminishes over time.
Sanctuary Cosmetic Center’s Washington DC area breast augmentation patients are consistently thrilled with the results they receive from our talented team of surgeons and staff. Breast augmentation has been known to improve confidence and self esteem. Many of our patients note that, after the procedure, clothing fits better and their overall proportions are more in line with the patient’s self-image. We consider a breast augmentation a success when a patient feels and looks great after her surgery.
If you are interested in a breast augmentation procedure in the Northern Virginia or Washington DC area, contact Sanctuary Cosmetic Center to start on your transformation. We answer all of your questions during a comprehensive and confidential consultation process.